Monday, October 20, 2008

South Beach Pattern Sans Fixture


My latest pride and joy. A couple of months ago I won a door prize at my local stained glass shop. It was the South Beach pattern book and fixture. I have been wanting to try this for the longest time but I couldn't afford to buy both. I picked the palm pattern, but I wasn't too keen on using green. I wanted COLOR! So I searched (for about 2 hours) until I found the perfect color. It matches the sumac trees in my backyard so well, so I renamed the piece Sumac.

I used Youghiogheny glass for everything (It is now on my list of favorite glass to use). They have beautiful colors and the texture is wonderful. I am already eyeing a piece with yellows and greens for the pineapple pattern. Hopefully I will be able to save up before it is sold.
I bought a 12 x 12 piece and prayed that it would cut easy and not break. Thankfully it didn't and it was plenty for the panel. From start to finish it took about 3 hours and that includes, cutting, cleaning, foiling, soldering, patina, and polishing.

No comments: